Designed for the traditional bluegrass sound with medium to heavy gauge strings. Described has having a cutting chop and superb bass, while maintaining great playability.
- Highly flamed sugar maple back sides and neck
- Red spruce top with traditional tone bar arrangement
- Graduated for optimal bluegrass sound with medium or heavy strings
- 24 fret bound fingerboard with abalone position markers on face and side
- Ivoroid binding on body neck and headstock
- Nickel hardware: Grover 309 18:1 ratio tuners, strap button and engraved nickel-plated James tailpiece
- Mother of pearl nut
- Traditional sunburst under hybrid varnish finish
- Hiscox Hardshell Case
- Fine quarter-sawn, vacuum-dried, red spruce used for superior tonal range and traditional “Loar” tone.
- Full perimeter graduation for maximum top response.
- CNC carved to precise curvatures, then hand graduated to each model’s specifications.
- Tone-bars; graphite-laminated, voiced for bluegrass; with asymmetrical placement.
- Amati-style “f” holes, area-matched to Lloyd Loar Era specifications.
- Highly figured sugar maple, specially graduated by a new Phoenix formula
- Neck is one-piece, profiled similar to Loar era mandolins.
- Epoxy-graphite bar replacing metal truss rod for better sound and stability.
- Finest ebony fingerboard is radiused to 7 1/4″ for ease of playing,
- 13 7/8″ standard scale.
- Front inlays: Snail or abalone 6mm dots
- Side position dots: 2mm abalone dots
- Binding: Ivoroid
- Scalloped for pick relief above 24th fret. “Florida Extention”
- All fret wire is now EVO “gold”, the new harder, longer-lasting fret wire.
- Overlay is finest ebony
- Precision CNC-cut inlays with 3-piece of figured abalone except on the Ultra where a hand-cut full abalone phoenix with flames is done.
- Binding: Ivoroid
- Width: 30mm (just under 1 3/16″)
- Material: Mother of pearl
- Highly-figured quarter-sawn sugar maple sides
- Blocks and lining strips made from willow, as Stradivari preferred.
- Internal air volume matched to the legendary Lloyd Loar mandolins.
- Ivoroid Binding
- Traditional Lloyd Loar specifications.
- Nickel-plated thumbwheels
- The bridge base is made from resonant ancient-forest maple recovered from Moosehead Lake in Maine.
- The saddle is ebony, radiused and carefully compensated.
- Machine heads: precision Nickel Grover machine heads, with white plastic buttons
- Replacement light-weight nickel machine head bushings
- Tailpiece: Nickel-plated engraved James tailpiece
- Strap buttons: Nickel top button inside left point; (the end pin at tailpiece is ebony on all models except where an end-pin jack is used).
- Colors: Traditional sunburst amber/red-brown/tobacco brown/black
- The color stains are mixed with the shellac sealer or applied directly to the wood prior to sealing.
- A grain-enhancing shellac is used as a sealer before top-coats are applied.
- Top coats are the finest waterborne varnish, an environmentally-friendly finish that is extremely durable yet flexible for sound enhancement. The coats take significantly longer to apply and polish to produce a final finish that is only .006″ thick.
- Bluegrass and Master Model – made for medium-light to heavy strings, delivered with .011″/.015″/.026″/.040″ (D’Addario J74).