These mandolins are made to order and are available on special order through any of the Phoenix dealers or direct from us.
Top of the line model made with the finest woods and craftsmanship. Designed for the ultimate in mandolin sound and artistic expression.
- Very finest on all woods
- Highly figured red maple
- Best quality red maple top
- 24 fret ebony fingerboard with hand-cut abalone “flame” inlaid position markers
- “Rising Phoenix” headstock
- Mother of pearl nut
- Black binding with abalone purfling on top and back
- Waverly tuners, gold-plated with ebony buttons
- Distinctive red sunburst under a hybrid varnish finish
- Ebony suspended finger rest
- Built in McIntyre Feather pickup with endpin jack
- Hiscox hardshell case
- Fine quarter-sawn, vacuum-dried, red spruce for superior tonal range and traditional “Loar” tone.
- Full perimeter graduation for maximum top response.
- CNC carved to precise curvatures, then hand graduated to each model’s specifications.
- Tone-bars; graphite-laminated, voiced for the Ultra, with asymmetrical placement.
- Amati-style “f” holes, area-matched to Lloyd Loar Era specifications.
- Highly figured red maple, specially graduated by a new Phoenix formula.
- Neck is one-piece, profiled similar to Loar era mandolins.
- Epoxy-graphite bar replacing metal truss rod for better sound and stability.
- Finest ebony radiused to 7 1/4″ for ease of playing
- 13 7/8″ standard scale
- Front inlays: Hand-cut abalone flames.
- Binding: Bluegrass – Black/white
- Side position dots: 2mm snail dots
- Scalloped for pick relief above 24th fret.
- “Florida Extension”
- All fret wire is now EVO “gold”, the new harder, longer-lasting fret wire.
- Overlay is finest ebony
- The full Rising Phoenix headstock!
- Hand-cut full abalone phoenix with flames inlay
- Width: 30mm (just under 1 3/16″)
- Material: Mother of Pearl
- Highly-figured quarter-sawn red maple sides
- Blocks and lining strips made from willow, as Stradivari preferred
- Internal air volume matched to the legendary Lloyd Loar mandolins
- Ultra model has black bindings with abalone purfling
- Traditional Lloyd Loar specifications
- Black plated thumbwheels
- The bridge base is made from resonant ancient-forest maple recovered from Moosehead Lake in Maine
- The saddle is ebony, radiused and carefully compensated
- Machine heads: Premium gold-plated Waverly machine heads with black-plated string posts and ebony buttons
- Replacement light-weight machine head bushings
- Tailpiece: Black-plated aluminum Price Tailpiece
- Strap buttons: Black top button inside left point (the end pin at tailpiece is ebony on all models except where an end-pin jack is used).
- Colors: Sunburst from wine-red to black
- The color stains are mixed with the shellac sealer or applied directly to the wood prior to sealing.
- A grain-enhancing shellac is used as a sealer before top-coats are applied.
- Top coats are the finest waterborne varnish, an environmentally-friendly finish that is extremely durable yet flexible for sound enhancement. The coats take significantly longer to apply and polish to produce a final finish that is only .006″ thick.
- The Ultra is made for medium-light to medium-heavy, delivered with .011″/.015″/.026″/.040″ (D’Addario J74).